This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently. It is usually only for people who currently hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820).
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your family members to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
- if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. You become a permanent resident on the day the visa is granted.
Include dependent children
You can include a dependent child or children in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.
You paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.
- 75% of applications: 12 months
- 90% of applications: 20 months
Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
- You must hold a Partner Visa Temporary
- Meet relationship requirements: You must still be in relation with your spouse
- You must meet our health requirement.
- You must meet our character requirement.
- Pay your debt to Australian Government
- Best Interest of the child