Partner Visa Temporary

This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).

With this visa you can

  • Stay in Australia until we decide your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 801) or that application is withdrawn
  • Work in Australia
  • Study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
  • attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • Enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare

How long you can stay

Stay on the visa until we decide your permanent visa (subclass 801) application. For most applicants, this stay is from 15 to 24 months.

Include dependent children

You can include a dependent child or children in your application:

  • when you submit your application, or
  • after you submit your application but before we decide your temporary visa


Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) holders: AUD1,285 for the main applicant. If you previously held a Prospective Marriage visa but didn’t apply for the subclass 820 and 801 visas before that visa expired: AUD1,630.

Processing times

We process,

  • 75% of applications: 24 months
  • 90% of applications: 31 months

Your application might take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.


You can travel outside Australia as many times as you want.


  • Have a sponsor
  • Meet relationship requirements
  • Be at right age, must be 18 year old or elder when you apply for visa.
  • You must meet our health requirement.
  • You must meet our character requirement.
  • Pay your debt to Australian Government
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or an application refused
  • Best Interest of the child
Scroll to top