Visit Australia to participate in a course of study.
With this visa you can
- participate in an eligible course of study
- bring family members to Australia with you
- apply online in or outside Australia
How long you can stay
This is a temporary visa to study up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay
Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 can only be granted a student visa for a maximum of 2 years.
You can include family members when you lodge your visa application. For student visas, your family member is:
- your partner, or
- your or your partner’s dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years of age.
We cannot grant a student visa to your child if they have turned 18 years at the time your visa is finalised. They need to apply for their own visa.
You must declare your family members in your student visa application even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible for a student visa to join you in Australia.
Your family members can also apply as a subsequent entrant (at a later time, separate from your application) in ImmiAccount.
Check the annual school costs you will need to pay for any dependent children to go to either public or private schools in Australia.
The visa costs from AUD620 for the main applicant, unless they are exempt.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa.
You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
- Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector
- 75% of applications in 16 days
- 90% of applications in 33 days
- Postgraduate Research Sector
- 75% of applications in 46 days
- 90% of applications in 75 days
- Non-Award Sector
- 75% of applications in 2 days
- 90% of applications in 9 days
- Schools Sector
- 75% of applications in 23 days
- 90% of applications in 49 days
- Independent ELICOS Sector
- 75% of applications in 25 days
- 90% of applications in 42 days
- Vocational Education and Training Sector
- 75% of applications in 48 days
- 90% of applications in 68 days
- Higher Education Sector
- 75% of applications in 19 days
- 90% of applications in 44 days
Your application can take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
- Be a certain age(school student)
- Be enrolled in a course of study and provide evidence
- Make welfare arrangements if yo are under 18 years
- Meet English language requirements
- Have adequate health insurance
- Have not held a certain visa
- Have enough money for your stay
- Be a genuine temporary entrant
- Meet character requirement
- Meet health requirement
- Sign up the Australian Value Statement
- Have Paid Back your debt to the Australian Government
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
What you can do when you have this visa
- participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
- travel in and out of Australia
- work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts
Travelling on your visa
You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.
Time spent outside Australia does not extend the visa.
Working on this visa
Except in limited circumstances, you and your family members cannot work until your course has started. When your course is in session:
- you can work 40 hours in a 2 week period.
- your family can work but not more than 40 hours per fortnight.