Contributory Aged Parent visa

This permanent visa lets the aged parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen stay in Australia.

With this visa you can

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day we grant the visa.


This visa costs from AUD47,755. There is an additional charge for each family member who applies with you. 

You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments. 

Pay the first installment when you apply. Pay the second installment when we ask you to.

Processing times

We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications are subject to capping and queueing.

Your application might take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.

Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take many years for this visa to be granted.


We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.

  1. Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
  2. Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.


  • Have a sponsor
  • You must be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia
  • Must not have a no further stay condition
  • You must meet our health requirement.
  • You must meet our character requirement.
  • Sign The Australian Value Statement
  • Meet the balance of family test
  • Have assurance of Support
  • Have Paid back your debt to Australian Government
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
  • Best Interest of the child
Scroll to top