This temporary visa lets a parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen stay temporarily in Australia.
With this visa you can
- Live in Australia for up to 2 years
- Work and study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
- Apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)
How long you can stay
This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for 2 years.
The visa period starts on the date you enter Australia after you are granted the visa.
The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want within two years.
This visa costs from AUD31,930. There is an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.
Pay the first instalment when you apply. Pay the second instalment when we ask you to.
There is also a charge for any family member who applies for the visa with you.
We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications are subject to capping and queueing.
Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take many years for this visa to be granted.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.