Temporary Graduate visa

Post-Study Work stream

This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily.

Graduate Work stream

This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations in Australia needs. It lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily.

With this visa you can

  • stay in Australia, usually for 18 months
  • travel, work or study in Australia during your stay

You must find your own employment if we grant this visa. We are not responsible for arranging employment.

How long you can stay

Post-Study Work stream

This is a temporary visa. The length of your stay in Australia will depend on the level of your Australian study qualification.

  • Bachelor degree (including honours): 2 years
  • Masters by coursework: 2 years
  • Masters by research: 3 years
  • Doctoral degree: 4 years

Graduate Work stream

This is a temporary visa. You can usually stay in Australia for 18 months. The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. 

  • include them when you lodge your visa application
  • add them after you lodge your application but before we decide on your visa


The visa costs AUD1,650 for the primary visa applicant.

Processing times

  • 75% of applications: 4 months
  • 90% of applications: 5 months

Your application can take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information

We can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case. 


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid. The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.


  • You must be under 50 years of age
  • You are the main holder of a current student visa
  • You held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B
  • Meet the Australian study requirement
  • You must nominate the occupation when you apply, or we can’t process your visa application. You can’t change the occupation you nominate after you apply
  • The Post-study Work stream of the subclass 485 visa is for international students with eligible qualifications, regardless of their field of study.
  • Your course must have been with an Australian education provider who is registered on CRICOS  and offer degree-level programs.
  • You can either show us that you hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland, or prove your English proficiency. 
  • Have adequate health insurance
  • You must meet our health requirement.
  • You must meet our character requirement.
  • Have paid back your debt to the Australian Government
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

Leave a Reply

Scroll to top