Working conditions

Permission to work

One of the advantages of being an international student in Australia is that you can receive permission to work part time (up to 40 hours per fortnight while you study). Students who have studied for a minimum of 2 years will be permitted to work for 2 years(post study work visa) if they complete Bachelors or Masters in Australia. Students who study Master by Research can get work permit for 3 years, and PHD students are eligible to get a work permit for 4 years and unlimited work rights during their studies.

Types of work for international students

International students often find work in retail, hospitality and administration. Working students are covered by Australian workplace law and practice.  You may be paid more for working on Sundays and public holidays. If you decide to take on the challenge of part-time work, start with a few hours until you are able to find a balance with your studies. For more information visit the

Fair Work Ombudman’s website.


One of the great advantage of gaining an Australian qualification is it makes you eligible to work in Australia and gain licensing to work locally. It gives you an edge over overseas qualified persons.

Employers in Australia and around the world hold Australian graduates in high esteem. Thousands of graduates are recruited every year in all career fields like traditional fields, such as business, finance, law and medicine, to emerging industries, such as environmental sustainability, digital media, biotechnology, nanotechnology and e-commerce. Australian qualification will provide you with an excellent platform to develop your career.

Vocational Placements

As part of your course of study, you may be required to undertake work-based training or a vocational work placement to gain your qualification. As the requirements for work-based training or work placements vary significantly depending on the course you choose, you will need to check with your provider about any specific requirement

Employment assistance

Many Australian universities and higher education institutions offer returning home seminars for international students. These seminars will prepare you to re-enter your home country for finding a job.

The Australian Government has also been very active in developing Memoranda of Understanding and qualifications recognition between Australia and other countries.

Leave a Reply

Scroll to top