This permanent visa lets a single older person, who relies on a relative living in Australia for financial support, move to Australia permanently.
With this visa you can
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia
- Enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa until the travel validity expires.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel validity:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day we grant the visa.
This visa costs from AUD6,415. There is an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.
You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments.
Pay the first installment when you apply. Pay the second installment when we ask you to.
We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications are subject to capping and queueing.
Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take many years for this visa to be granted.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
- Have a sponsor
- Be at age
- Be dependent
- Have no Partner
- Have assurance of Support
- You must meet our health requirement.
- You must meet our character requirement.
- Sign The Australian Value Statement
- Meet the balance of family test
- Have repaid debt to the Australian Government
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Best Interest of the child