This permanent visa lets a parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia.
With this visa you can
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia
- Enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and enter Australia for 5 years
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- You will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- You might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:
- we grant the visa if you are in Australia
- you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia
This visa costs from AUD47,755. There is an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.
You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments.
Pay the first installment when you apply. Pay the second installment when we ask you to.
We don’t provide processing times for this visa. Applications are subject to capping and queueing.
Your application might take longer to process if:
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
- it takes us time to verify your information
We can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take many years for this visa to be granted.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
- Apply as a retiree
- Have a sponsor
- You must meet our health requirement.
- You must meet our character requirement.
- Sign The Australian Value Statement
- Meet the balance of family test
- Have Health Insurance
- Have Paid back your debt to Australian Government
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Best Interest of the child